Insure Your Property


The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) makes flood insurance available to those living within a FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Renters living within the SFHA can also purchase flood insurance to cover their possessions. For more information about flood insurance, contact your insurance agent or the NFIP customer service line at 1-800-638-6620 or visit the FEMA Website to learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program. 

Homes and business located within SFHAs are required to be covered under a flood insurance policy as a condition of federally funded loans or mortgages. The minimum standard flood insurance coverage required by the federal government for a SFHA property is the lesser of the following:

  • The outstanding mortgage balance on the structure,
  • The replacement cost of the structure, or
  • $250,000 for a residential structure, and $500,000 for industrial/commercial.
  • Residents are eligible to purchase flood insurance even if your property is not in a high-risk flood area. This insurance coverage limit does not apply to property outside the SFHA.

Community Rating System (CRS)

The NFIP created the Community Rating System (CRS) to promote flood awareness and reduce flood losses. The City of Milpitas is a participant of the program and is ranked among the highest in the nation for its flood mitigation efforts. Residents of Milpitas who purchase flood insurance enjoy a 15% automatic reduction of their insurance premium.

Elevation Certificate (EC)

A FEMA Elevation Certificate documents elevation information of the lowest floor of a structure and is used to determine the proper insurance premium rate. Elevation Certificates are completed by Licensed Land Surveyors at the request of the property owner.

For additional information regarding Elevations Certificates view the Elevation Certificate and Instructions (PDF).

The City of Milpitas maintains a database of completed Elevation Certificate records submitted to the City by homeowners. To determine if the City has an Elevation Certificate on-file for your property, contact the City Engineering Department, Land Development Principal Civil Engineer 408-586-3316.