Encroachment Permits

Driveway Workers


An Encroachment Permit from the Engineering Department is required for all work within a City street and right of way including:

  • Placement of traffic control
  • Work in sidewalks
  • Park strips
  • Driveway aprons

All work in City streets, right of way, and upon City infrastructure shall be in conformance with the latest City Standard Details and Specifications, and a Traffic Control Plan shall be provided for City review and approval prior to Encroachment Permit issuance.

A City Franchise Agreement and/or Encroachment Permit Agreement will be required for installation of Small Cell and Fiber Optic cable telecommunications equipment.

Underground Service Alert 

Contact the Underground Service Alert prior to any excavation.

Contractors shall pothole to determine the location and depth of all existing underground structures and where proposed crossings of new utility with existing is shown on the plans. The use of ground penetration radar in lieu of pothole excavation shall not be permitted. Contractor shall submit results of the pothole work with found location and depth information to the city engineer for review prior to proceeding with further excavation.


Work hours shall be from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday except City Holidays unless modified by the City Engineer, however, traffic control lane closure hours may be more restrictive dependent on traffic conditions.

No construction operations are permitted on the following city holidays in accordance with city ordinance and the contract documents: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King birthday, Cesar Chavez Day, Memorial Day, July 4th Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day including the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.

View the Encroachment Permit Application Form (PDF). Incomplete Applications will not be accepted.

Note that potable water shall not be used for construction or dust control. Recycled Water may be used for construction, however, Contractors shall first obtain a City Recycled Water Meter and be responsible for water use charges. Visit the Recycled Water page for more information. You can download the Construction Meter Application (PDF) here. Incomplete Applications will not be accepted.

You can submit Encroachment Permit Applications via:

  • In person:

    Milpitas City Hall, Building Department 1st Floor Information Counter,
    Attention: Land Development Engineer

    8 am through 5 pm, Monday through Thursday
  • By U.S. Mail:

    City of Milpitas
    Attn: Engineering Department, Land Development Engineering
    455 E Calaveras Boulevard Milpitas, CA 95035
  • Or you may email the Land Development Engineering Department