Small Business Hazardous Waste Recycling
Properly disposing of hazardous waste can be costly and inconvenient. Businesses may not use the residential hazardous waste program. Fortunately, small business owners in Santa Clara County have a different cost-effective, and environmentally sound option to meet their hazardous waste recycling and disposal needs.
If your business qualifies as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG), you have the opportunity to participate in the Santa Clara County CESQG Program. Continue reading below to see if your business qualifies for the CESQG Program and to learn how you can participate. If you have any further questions on whether or not your business qualifies, please call 800-207-8222.
If your business does not qualify for the CESQG Program, please refer to Santa Clara County's Department of Environmental Health - Hazardous Materials Compliance Division for detailed information on how to properly handle your business's hazardous waste.
CESQG Program - How to Participate
Step 1: Determine if you Qualify
- The business must qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5.
- According to code, you must generate less than 220 pounds, or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 pounds of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
- Non-Profits, landlords, apartment managers, and businesses who generate hazardous waste are considered small businesses and are not exempt from disposal fees.
Step 2: Obtain a California EP.A. I.D. Number
- All participants of the Small Business Program must have an EPA Identification Number. Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA) at 800-618-6942 to apply for either a Temporary or Permanent Number. In the majority of cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the phone. Please be patient and prepared for high call volumes.
Step 3: Submit an Inventory Sheet
- After printing and filling out this Inventory Sheet, please email the completed inventory sheet to the County of Santa Clara and call Stericycle at 800-207-8222.
Step 4: Schedule an Appointment
- Once we receive your inventory sheet, we will produce a price quote and contact you. If you agree to the price and wish to proceed, we will create an account for you. Once your account is created, we can proceed with setting up an appointment. We have hazardous waste collection events for businesses in San Martin and San Jose. Once you agree to an appointment, we will fax or email you your copy of the waste manifest along with a map and directions to our facility and a transportation variance allowing you or your employees to transport up to 27 gallons or 220 lbs. of hazardous waste, and your copy of the waste manifest.
- CESQG Operating Schedule
- CESQG Program Brochure (PDF)
- Department of Transportation - Hazmat Safety Administration
- Inventory Sheet
- Inventory Sheet Instructions
- Unidocs - Standardized Hazardous Waste Forms and Guidelines