Building inspection assists the general public, property owners, business owners, and contractors to ensure that projects are constructed in accordance with the applicable local and state codes, regulations, and approved plans. Building inspection also assists customers in the timely completion of their projects by providing after-hours and weekend inspections when requested and with prior arraignment and approval.
As your construction project progresses, inspections by the City of Milpitas Building Inspectors are required. It is the responsibility of the person performing the work under this permit to contact the Building Safety and Housing Department to schedule inspections. Construction hours are 7 am to 7 pm each day per MMC V-213-3 (b) and are not permitted on the City of Milpitas Holidays List (PDF).
To help ensure that your project starts smoothly and will be completed on time, a pre-construction meeting (PDF) may be required prior to issuance of the permit and start of construction for larger projects including demolition, grading, site improvement, building, and tenant improvements. Contact the Building Inspection Manager at 408-586-3251 to arrange a Pre-Construction meeting.
Inspections may be scheduled 24 hours a day online or by phone:
In an effort to further improve customer service and streamline the permitting process, the inspection results may be accessed 24 hours a day:
Additional Inspection Information:
- Application For Recognition as a Third-Party Field Evaluation Body (FEB) (PDF)
- Courtesy Inspections for Temporary Building Permits (PDF)
- Field Inspection Process for Commercial Projects (PDF)
- Field Inspection Process for Residential Projects (PDF)
- Final Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Policy on Procedures for the Approval of the Installation and Use of Electrical Equipment (PDF)
- Recognized Testing Agencies for Electrical Equipment (PDF)
- Water Conserving Certificate of Compliance (PDF)
Special Inspection and Testing may be required on certain types of work. If it is required in your project, it will be listed on the approved set of plans. Both of the 2 forms contained in the following link shall be completed, signed and returned to the Building and Safety Department for approval prior to permit issuance:
Special Inspection and Testing shall be performed by recognized agencies as listed below:
- Contractor's Statement of Responsibility (PDF)
- Recognized Special Inspection and Testing Agencies (PDF)
- Structural Observation Agreement Letter (PDF)
- Structural Observation Final Compliance Report (PDF)
The qualification of the Recognized Special Inspection and Testing Agencies is determined by the following procedural guidelines: