Application & Forms
Occupancy Submittal Requirements and Procedures
An Occupancy Permit is applicable for new businesses, change of business ownership, change of business name or change of business address without any construction work, or with minor construction work which does not require building permits, or without change of use or occupancy from previous business. If building permits are required for the construction work involved or for change of use or occupancy from previous business, no extra fee is required for the Certificate of Occupancy, and it will be automatically sent to you after passing the final inspection of the building permit.
Please email the application forms to Building Permit Center.
Prior to submitting the occupancy permit application, contact Planning at 408-586-3279 to find out project feasibility and requirements.
Tutoring Center Occupancy
To obtain occupancy and business license for a new tutoring center in an existing office space, submit a floor plan showing the layout of the space with room use and dimensions in each room along with the application forms.
The use and occupancy of a warehouse is not done through a Certificate of Occupancy inspection process. You need to submit full detailed plans to disclose the following:
- Provide detailed and to scale architectural plans.
- All rooms and areas of the tenant space shall be identified with the occupancy use.
- The plans shall show a detailed exit analysis with exit plans and electrical plans if improvements are required.
- The plans shall provide detailed information on the intended use of the warehouse (storage products, storage height, racks or no racks, etc.).
- If racks over 5’-9” tall are proposed, provide structural calculations and details for anchorage design prepared by a California licensed professional engineer.
- If racks over 8’-0” tall are proposed, provide structural calculations and details for rack structure and anchorage design prepared by a California licensed professional engineer.
- Provide a detailed fire protection report prepared by a California licensed Fire Protection Engineer to justify the proposed storage and the fire protection system.
Please also see the Warehouse Storage Permit Requirements (PDF) for Warehouse Storage occupancy.
Please submit your plans and documents using the Online Plan Submittal Portal