The City’s regulations of short-term rentals are designed to:
- Maintain the long-term rental housing stock in the City
- Provide residents an opportunity to generate income
- Provide visitors to the City another way to experience the local community
- Ensure that such short-term rental activities do not become a nuisance, or threaten the public health, safety or welfare of neighboring properties
- Safeguard the residents of Milpitas by ensuring that short-term rental activities do not threaten the character of residential neighborhoods
- Ensure the collection and payment of Transient Occupancy Taxes (“TOT”)
On March 3, 2020 the Milpitas City Council adopted an Ordinance that created the short-term rental (STR) program.