Milpitas has a strong tradition of community participation. Help shape the future of your community through volunteer service on a commission. The 12 City Commissions advise the City Council on an array of topics and provide a public forum for community input. Applications are accepted on a continuing basis and appointments are made by the Mayor as needed throughout the year and confirmed by the City Council.
Now Recruiting for Open Seats on City Commissions
Commission Recruitments (Applications Due January 13, 2023):
- Community Advisory Commission
- 3 terms ending January 2026
- Science, Technology, and Innovation Commission
- 1 term ending January 2026
- 1 alternate term ending January 2026
Unscheduled Vacancies (Open Until December 23, 2022)
- Economic Development and Trade Commission
- 1 alternate unexpired term ending April 2024
Commission Vacancies (Open Until Filled):
- Economic Development and Trade Commission
- 1 unexpired term ending April 2024 representing the hospitality industry
- 1 alternate unexpired term ending April 2023
- Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Commission
- 1 unexpired term ending June 2023
- 1 unexpired term ending June 2025
- 2 alternate unexpired terms ending June 2023
- Veterans Commission
- 1 term ending February 2025
- 2 alternate terms ending February 2025
- Measure F Oversight Committee
- 1 alternate unexpired term ending March 2024
Advises the City Council on matters pertaining to the Arts, performance or visual in the City of Milpitas. Serves as an advisory body to the City Council on expenditure and selection of public art pieces.
Community Advisory Commission
Advises the City Council on matters affecting Milpitas citizens, especially those relating to community improvement, and Community Development Block Grants.
Economic Development and Trade Commission
Advises the City Council on business issues and designs, develops, and implements a comprehensive economic development program for the City of Milpitas.
Energy and Environmental Sustainability Commission
Recommend programs designed to reduce solid waste and monitor the City’s achievement of waste diversion goals.
Library and Education Advisory Commission
Advises the City Council on matters concerning the Milpitas Public Library.
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Commission
Advises the City Council regarding the operation and maintenance of recreation, leisure services, and historic preservation activities.
Consists of seven members (Milpitas residents), appointed by the City Council to staggered terms of three years each, and makes land use decisions.
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Commission
Advises the City Council regarding emergency preparedness and disaster planning.
Senior Advisory Commission
Advises the City Council on matters pertaining to recreation, leisure, and nutrition services for the Senior Citizens of Milpitas.
Science, Technology, and Innovation Commission
Advises the City Council on matters of telecommunications and technology policy, legislation, and implementation at the local, state, and federal levels.
Founded on December 1, 2009, the Veterans Commission advises the Council on matters pertaining to Milpitas veterans.
Youth Advisory Commission
Advises the Council on matters pertaining to youth and teens in Milpitas.
Applications for City commissions are accepted year round. When a deadline is announced, this is the last date we can guarantee your application will be included in the review for appointment recommendations. You may still submit an application after that deadline but it may not be included for consideration.
Commission Eligibility Requirements:
Unless otherwise specified in other eligibility requirements (below),
- Applicants must be an adult resident of Milpitas;
- Maintain an interest the subject area of a Commission; and
- Be available to attend all regular meetings of the Commission.
Other eligibility requirements:
- Economic Development Commission – requires members from local business community (often non-residents)
- Emergency Preparedness Commission – members from some from segments of business community
- Planning Commission – must be registered voter at current address in Milpitas
- Senior Advisory Commission – consists of senior residents
- Veterans Commission – members have served or are currently serving in US military
- Youth Advisory Commission – students under age 18