The Milpitas Volunteer Program welcomes volunteers of all ages to share their time and talents with the community. Volunteers assist with City events, community service programs, park cleanups and emergency readiness activities. Others serve on commissions and task forces or work on special projects related to their interests. The City and its residents benefit greatly from our volunteers’ service, which allows the City to provide enhanced customer service without increasing costs. Volunteers benefit, too. They have fun, meet friends and neighbors, gain skills and earn service credits or work experience.
The City maintains a database of hundreds of volunteers ready and willing to serve the community. We email monthly with a list of upcoming project and opportunities in the community. Volunteers choose which opportunities to respond to, based on their interests and availability. Volunteers under age 14 require parent or adult guardian supervision. Volunteers ages 18+ must have a Livescan fingerprint background clearance on file for certain volunteer activities. To request a Livescan appointment, call (408) 586-3090.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our regular in-person volunteer opportunities are temporarily on hold, but watch for new virtual volunteer opportunities and special projects each month!
For more information, contact Marketing Coordinator Ruby General, (408) 586-3206.
Tree Lighting Ceremony Preparation. Volunteers are needed to help package holiday cookies on Tuesday, November 29 from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
Tree Lighting Ceremony needs volunteers to help with the kids craft area, face painting, and other activities on Thursday, December 1 from 6-9:30 p.m.
Milk and Cookies with Santa needs volunteers to help set-up, serve, and clean-up during the event on Saturday, December 3 from 8 a.m – 1 p.m.
Milpitas Art Booth
Volunteers to provide information about the Milpitas Arts program during upcoming City events.
- Lantern Festival, September 9, 2022
- Dia de Los Muertos, October 29, 2022
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Adult volunteers who have expertise in a particular subject matter and can commit to regular meeting attendance are encouraged to apply to serve on a City Commission. Currently, the following commissions have openings for members or alternates:
- Arts Commission
- Economic Development and Trade Commission
- Energy and Environmental Sustainability Commission
- Library and Education Advisory Commission
- Planning Commission
- Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Commission
- Science, Technology and Innovation Commission
- Senior Advisory Commission
- Veterans Commission
For more information visit: https://www.milpitas.gov/our-government/commission/
- Barbara Lee Senior Center. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities available at the Barbara Lee Senior Center.
- Walking Group: To lead walk/hikes around Milpitas trails. Schedule is flexible and can be based on volunteers availability during once a week preferably in the morning. Should have knowledge of different trails in the area and first aid certified
- Technology for Seniors: Will need knowledge of how to use Chrome book device, in order to provide one-on-one orientations on how to use device, tips and applications. Will need to be able to call seniors to set up appointments for orientations.
- Harvest Social event (November 16 – 2-5:15 p.m.): Assist with preparation for the event and craft project.
- Pumpkin Carving Contest (October 24-28 – mornings and afternoons): Assist seniors carve foam pumpkins.
- Blood Pressure Screenings: Conduct blood pressure screenings once a month.
- Senior Nutrition Program (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.): Assist with food service and clean-up.
- Truck ‘N’ Treats event (Friday, October 28 – 2-5 p.m.): Assist with set-up and clean-up of the event.
- Saturday Pilot Program – October/November, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above opportunities and to learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Milpitas Teen Center. There are a couple volunteer opportunities available at the Milpitas Teen Center.
- Tutoring opportunities for college students to tutor students ages 13-17 in math, English, and other subjects. Milpitas Teen Center is open Monday-Friday from 4-7 p.m.
- Teen Center Treats. Assist with setup, clean up, decorate, oversee activities under Senior Center staff supervision. Preference is volunteers ages 18+.
To learn more and to sign-up, please contact Ruby General at email@example.com.
- Pickleball Pilot Program. The Pickleball Pilot Program is takes place at Hall Memorial and Gill Memorial Parks. Volunteers are needed 7 days a week at both locations to set up and take down the nets. For more information and to sign-up, please click here.
- Higuera Adobe Docents Volunteers to lead tours and children’s activity leaders on as needed basis. You will be part of a pool of volunteers and will be notified when tours are scheduled and help is needed. Docents must be comfortable with public speaking, interested in history and willing to memorize script and face. Activity leaders should enjoy working with children for arts and crafts and games. We need volunteers with both weekday and school day availability. Training will be provided. Volunteers over 18 must be fingerprinted. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the Bell – Afterschool program High School and/or College volunteers needed for ATB/LYFE programs, working with youth doing things such as group games, activities, and much more. Opportunities available at multiples sites across Milpitas. For more information, please contact the Program Coordinator, Anthony Teschera at (408) 586-3231 or email@example.com.
- Gallery Assistant.
Assist artists in hanging their work in the Phantom Art Gallery locations. Previous Gallery experience preferred, but some training can be provided. Contact Tegan McLane, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Art Activity Assistants.
Assist with a variety of art activities at community events. Contact Tegan McLane, email@example.com.
- Senior Nutrition Program volunteers are needed to help serve lunch Monday-Friday, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Barbara Lee Senior Center. The Senior Nutrition program has been serving over 100 meals every day, and the numbers continue to increase every week. This volunteer assignment requires training therefore it will work best for volunteers able to commit to a long-term assignment, rather than a one-timse service. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of two days per week. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who has worked in food service or wants to gain skills to pursue career in food service. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Elf Jr. The Musical. Milpitas Community Theatre presents Elf Jr. The Musical. We are looking for volunteers to help with set-up, sound, lights, stage manager, stage hands, and break down. Volunteers must work at least one performance or all three performances.
Thursday, December 8, starts at 7 p.m.
Friday, December 9, show starts at 7 p.m.
Saturday, December 10, show starts at 7 p.m.
Sunday, December 11, show starts at 7 p.m.
To sign-up, please click here.
None at this time.