The Milpitas Volunteer Program welcomes volunteers of all ages to share their time and talents with the community. Volunteers assist with City events, community service programs, park cleanups and emergency readiness activities. Others serve on commissions and task forces or work on special projects related to their interests. The City and its residents benefit greatly from our volunteers’ service, which allows the City to provide enhanced customer service without increasing costs. Volunteers benefit, too. They have fun, meet friends and neighbors, gain skills and earn service credits or work experience.
The City maintains a database of hundreds of volunteers ready and willing to serve the community. We email monthly with a list of upcoming project and opportunities in the community. Volunteers choose which opportunities to respond to, based on their interests and availability. Volunteers under age 14 require parent or adult guardian supervision. Volunteers ages 18+ must have a Livescan fingerprint background clearance on file for certain volunteer activities. To request a Livescan appointment, call (408) 586-3090.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our regular in-person volunteer opportunities are temporarily on hold, but watch for new virtual volunteer opportunities and special projects each month!
For more information, contact Marketing Coordinator Ruby General, (408) 586-3206.
Holi Festival event. Volunteers will help in the kids’ craft and activities area at the Holi Festival on Saturday, March 4, 2023 from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at Cardoza Park. To sign-up, please click here.
Barbara Lee Senior Center events and special programs:
- Pancake Breakfast: March 17, 8-10 a.m.: Volunteers will help prepare food, serve, plate, greet and clean up
- Let’s Par-Tea!: May 6, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Volunteers will prepare, set up, plate food, serve, clean up. All will be required to wear black pants and a white collared shirt.
- Classic Movies Under the Stars: June 16, July 21, August 18, 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: Volunteers will help prepare food, serve, plate, greet and clean up, and direct participants.
- Annual MSRC Summer BBQ – Luau: June 24, 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.: Volunteers to prepare, set up, plate food, serve, and clean up. All will be required to wear luau shirts and jeans and closed toes shoes. Aprons and gloves will be provided.
Saturday, March 18, 2023
11 a.m – 1 p.m.
Parc Metro West and East
Saturday, April 15, 2023
11 a.m – 1 p.m.
Adult volunteers who have expertise in a particular subject matter and can commit to regular meeting attendance are encouraged to apply to serve on a City Commission. Currently, the following commissions have openings for members or alternates:
- Arts Commission
- Economic Development and Trade Commission
- Energy and Environmental Sustainability Commission
- Library and Education Advisory Commission
- Planning Commission
- Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Commission
- Science, Technology and Innovation Commission
- Senior Advisory Commission
- Veterans Commission
For more information visit: https://www.milpitas.gov/our-government/commission/
- Alviso Adobe Docents/Activity LeadersVolunteers are needed to lead groups through the historic Alviso Adobe and conduct hands-on history activities for families and children. Docents must be comfortable with iPad technology. Activity leaders must be comfortable leading active outdoor games, crafts, and simulated farm activities. Training will be provided. Although we welcome volunteers as young as high school age, the majority of tours are on weekdays during school hours. To learn more, please email email@example.com.
- Gallery Assistant.
Assist artists in hanging their work in the Phantom Art Gallery locations. Previous Gallery experience preferred, but some training can be provided. Contact Tegan McLane, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Art Activity Assistants.
Assist with a variety of art activities at community events. Contact Tegan McLane, email@example.com.
- Barbara Lee Senior Center. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities available at the Barbara Lee Senior Center.
- Walking Group: To lead walk/hikes around Milpitas trails. Schedule is flexible and can be based on volunteers availability during once a week preferably in the morning. Should have knowledge of different trails in the area and first aid certified. Work with one to 2 other leads to rotate leading walks.
- Senior Adventures – Meet-up/local trips: Coordinate with Senior Center Program Coordinator to lead the meet-ups. Volunteer will remind participants of the set place and time to meet, will check-in at registration at location of meet-up, hand out tickets etc.
- Blood Pressure Screenings: A dedicated set time weekly to once a month (depending on volunteers availability) to sit in our Resource area to conduct blood pressure screenings. We can discuss time and set appointments
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above opportunities and to learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Milpitas Teen Center. There are a couple volunteer opportunities available at the Milpitas Teen Center.
- Tutoring opportunities for college students to tutor students ages 13-17 in math, English, and other subjects. Milpitas Teen Center is open Monday-Friday from 4-7 p.m.
- Teen Center Treats: During Teen Center Treats events (approximately once a month), volunteers will help with setup and decoration, assist in washing dishes and utensils, greet teens and have them sign in. During the activity, volunteers will be working with hot ovens and must be able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment. They must communicate well with the teen population. Recommend wearing slip resistant shoes.
To learn more and to sign-up, please contact Ruby General at email@example.com.
- Pickleball Pilot Program. The Pickleball Pilot Program is takes place at Hall Memorial and Gill Memorial Parks. Volunteers are needed 7 days a week at both locations to set up and take down the nets. For more information and to sign-up, please click here.
After the Bell – Afterschool program High School and/or College volunteers needed for ATB/LYFE programs, working with youth doing things such as group games, activities, and much more. Opportunities available at multiples sites across Milpitas. For more information, please contact the Program Coordinator, Anthony Teschera at (408) 586-3231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior Nutrition Program volunteers are needed to help serve lunch Monday-Friday, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Barbara Lee Senior Center. The Senior Nutrition program has been serving over 100 meals every day, and the numbers continue to increase every week. This volunteer assignment requires training therefore it will work best for volunteers able to commit to a long-term assignment, rather than a one-time service. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of two days per week. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who has worked in food service or wants to gain skills to pursue career in food service. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Shrek Jr. The Musical – Milpitas Community Theatre Run Crew
Volunteers are needed to staff run crews for Milpitas Community Theatre productions, including stage managers, stagehands, lighting board operators, and sound technicians. Any past theater experience is a plus, but training can be provided. Please note, volunteering for production typically requires your commitment to work all tech rehearsals and shows, which equates to 4-hour shifts most evenings and weekends for approximately two weeks. To sign-up, please visit click here.
None at this time.