The public water distribution system is protected by the control of actual or potential cross-connections through two basic programs:
- By promoting the elimination of existing or future cross-connections through inspection and regulation of plumbing and water piping within a customer´s premises, Public Water System or between them.
- Through proper installation and maintenance of backflow preventers on services to premises where actual or potential cross-connections exist to prevent backflow or back siphonage of contaminants or pollutants from the customer´s premises into the Public Water System.
Annual Backflow Testing
The state of California requires backflow devices be tested for proper operation annually. Milpitas notifies owners of testing requirements each year; a list of certified testers acceptable to the state is included with the notice. Failure to correct any deficiencies and demonstrate passing results is cause for a potential cross-connections and may result in termination of water services. Our request is in compliance with City´s Ordinance #232 Milpitas Municipal Code VIII-3-3.01 which states Service of water to any premises shall be discontinued by the City if a device required by this Chapter is not installed, tested and maintained, or if it is found that a device has been removed, by-passes, or if any unprotected cross-connection exists on the premises.
- Click here to view a list of approved backflow devices.
- Click here to view a listing of Certified Backflow Prevention Testers.
- Click here to log into the XC2 data entry portal
- Call (408) 586-3351 if there are questions on the program.