Fire Prevention – Emergency Response
NOTE: Dumping into a storm drain is illegal!

To report suspicious discharges into the storm drain, call 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY! The City of Milpitas Fire Department responds to reports about illegal dumping into storm drains. Technically, anything other than rain water is an illegal discharge to our stormwater conveyance system, our creeks and South San Francisco Bay. For water waste running into a storm drain, please call the Public Works Department at (408) 586-2600.

Program Background:

The Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) has determined that discharges other than rain water runoff to receiving waters is a threat to the environment, and has amended the Federal Clean Water Act to reduce the amount of pollutants from reaching these waterways. The Federal regulations have mandated requirements on municipalities for storm water discharges. The City of Milpitas, together with thirteen valley cities and the Santa Clara Valley Water District, formed the Santa Clara Valley Non-point Source Pollution Control Program to fight storm drain pollution. In July of 1990, the Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Francisco Bay region, mandated that Milpitas and surrounding communities, remove, as much as practical, the amount of pollutants entering the City’s storm water drainage system.

In the Santa Clara Valley, storm drains flow directly to local creeks and the San Francisco Bay, with no treatment. Storm water pollution is a serious problem for wildlife dependent on our water ways and for the people who live near polluted streams or bay lands. Some common sources of this pollution include:

  • Fuel, and fluids from vehicles and heavy equipment,
  • Construction debris,
  • Landscaping runoff containing pesticides or herbicides, and
  • Material such as used motor oil, antifreeze and paint products that people pour or spill onto the street or into the storm drain.

The Milpitas Engineering Utility Department is responsible for enforcing the Non-point Source Discharge Program requirements for discharges into the storm drains. The Milpitas Engineering Utility Section can be reached at (408)586-3352. The Santa Clara Valley Non-Point Source Pollution Control Program has more information at:

Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program

The Santa Clara Valley Non-Point Source Pollution Control Program has developed a “Santa Clara Valley NPS Industrial Storm Water Handbook to assist Industrial facilities in understanding and complying with this fairly new but encompassing regulation. In addition, the Hazardous Materials and Environmental Services Unit, the Engineering Utility Department and the Bay Area Storm Water Management Agencies Association have developed Best Management Practices (BMPs) and guidelines for preventing storm water pollution from reaching and impacting our water ways and bay area ecosystem.

The following documents, BMPs and guidelines are currently available for free.

BMPs for Industrial Storm Water Pollution Control.
The Bay begins at your front door.

Auto Dismantling and Vehicle Service Facilities:
Auto Dismantlers: Best Management Practices
BMPs for Automotive-Related Industries
Body Work
Changing Oil and Other Fluids: Vehicle Shop Practices for a Cleaner Bay
Engine & Parts Cleaning & Radiator Flushing
Keeping it all in tune: Car repair and pollution prevention
Keeping a Clean Shop
Washing Cars and Other Vehicles
Your Shop Can Make a Difference: What vehicle service shops can do to protect water quality in the Bay and Delta

Machine Shops:
BMPs for Machine Shops

BMPs for the Construction Industry:
Blueprint fron a Clean Bay: BMPs to Prevent Stormwater Pollution from Construction-Related Activities
Fresh Concrete and Mortar Application
General Construction and Site Supervision
Home Repair and Remodeling
Landscaping, Gardening, and Maintenance
Painting and Application of Solvents and Adhesives
Roadwork and Paving

Copies of these documents, BMPs and guidelines are available at the Milpitas City Hall at 455 E. Calaveras Boulevard, Milpitas, CA. If you would like information on these documents, please contact the Hazardous Materials and Environmental Services Unit at (408) 586-3365 or the Engineering Utility Section at (408) 586-3352.