Emergency Preparedness Resources – Community
Before a disaster, get involved and become familiar with community resources:
- Join Milpitas Volunteer Partners. Contact the City’s Volunteer Services Office at (408) 586-3207.
- Do you have an Amateur Radio License? JoinARES/RACES.
- Interested in a Fire career? Investigate the Community Fire Aide program (408) 586-2800.
- Interested in a Police career? Investigate thePolice Explorer program (408) 586-2400.
- Become a member of Strategic Actions For Emergencies (S.A.F.E.), Milpitas’ CERT program and receive training on how to help yourself and your neighbors during an emergency.
- If you are over 50, join the Police Department’s Citizen Volunteer Program.
- Get to know your neighbors. Find out if anyone has specialized equipment, like a power generator or expertise such as medical knowledge, that might help in a crisis. Make arrangements to check on your neighbor’s home or pets if one of you is away when a disaster strikes.
- Take training in First Aid and CPR offered by the American Red Cross or other agencies.
- Consider joining a City Commission to add your expertise about an area that interests you.
Click here to return to the main page and find out how you and your employees can be prepared for an emergency. You can also learn what to do in response to a specific disaster.