Thinking of Doing an ADU? See flyer for more information on the new Safe ADU Legalization Program and the new ADU Incentive Program, where the ADU Permit is FREE to You!
An ADU Workshop was held on March 23, 2022 at 4pm. The presentation material is available via PDF or via PowerPoint.
The Safe ADU Legalization Program is offered to encourage and help residents to legalize and improve the safety of an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) or junior accessory dwelling unit (JADU) by converting a garage, other rooms or existing structures, or building a new ADU structure without obtaining permits.
Why should I legalize my unit?
- Reduce possible unknown risks to occupants – By not having a permit and inspections for the living unit that will provide a level of assurance for life safety, your tenants may be at risk.
- Reduce liability – In the event of a property loss or damage due to an event such as a fire or an earthquake, your insurance will not cover damages to unpermitted construction or illegal conversions of space to living units.
- Increase in property value – Without legalizing the unit, it will not count as part of the improvements when you get an appraisal for refinance or sale of the property.
- Ease of mind – without concern for sanctions due to illegal construction activities, legalizing the unit will eliminate worries about liabilities or a code enforcement action against you.
- Added legitimacy when finding tenants – prospective tenants’ due diligence when researching your rental unit’s status with the City can be documented as legally constructed / approved.
- Fee waivers – The typical inspection investigation fees for illegal construction and conversions will be waived along with all other plan review, inspection, building permit, and other fees associated with the unit’s legalization for as long as the Safe ADU Legalization Program exists.
Program eligibility qualifications
- The program applies to one and two-family properties only.
- The conversion / addition is not currently under a building permit or an active code enforcement case to legalize the unit.
If you are interested in the program, there is no obligation to you or a requirement to provide your name, address, or other identifying information to complete these first two steps. See further information in Step 2 to decide to proceed to Step 3.
Click here to download a PDF of the Safe ADU Legalization Roadmap.