Elected: November 2022
Term Expires: November 2026
Office: 455 E. Calaveras Blvd., Milpitas, CA 95035
Phone: (408) 586-3034 Fax: (408) 586-3056
City Boards and Commissions
- Milpitas Chamber of Commerce [Alternate]
- Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority (SVRIA) [Alternate]
- City Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Commission, Liaison
- City Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness Commission, Liaison
- City Youth Advisory Commission, Liaison
Personal Background Information
I have served the community in many capacities. These include:
- 2014 to 2017: Milpitas Planning Commissioner
- 2017 : MUSD Board Member
- 2018: MUSD Board Clerk
- 2019: MUSD Board Vice President
- 2020: MUSD Board President
- 2003 to 2010: Trustee and Treasurer: Lincoln Law School of San Jose
- 2003 to 2010: Executive Council Member of Silicon Valley Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- 2004 to present: Member, San Jose Rotary and Milpitas Rotary Club. Serving on the International Committee with San Jose Rotary. Two terms President of Milpitas Rotary Club.
- Through AGAPE, an organization from Sweden, I helped provide over 20,000 wheelchairs and hospital beds to Binh Duong Clinic and other hospitals in Vietnam.
My name is Hon Lien. I came from Bac Lieu, a coastal city in Southern Vietnam. My father, born in China, moved to South Vietnam. My father married my mother in Vietnam and created a family. I am one of eleven brothers and sisters. In 1978, my family escaped Vietnam by boat. My family spent 13 months in a Malaysian refugee camp and resettled in the United States on December 26, 1979. That evening, having delivered my family to freedom, my father suffered a stroke and died shortly after.
My father’s death created the need for me to begin work at age 14 to help support my family while attending George Washington High School in SF.
The first time I moved into Milpitas in 1999, I realized it was a good place to raise a family. In particular, we have been fortunate to have good schools.
Milpitas offers a better way of life than where my brothers, sisters and I were born. We will never be able to repay our parents for the wonderful gift they gave us when they loaded our family into a small boat to escape the communists in Vietnam and started our journey to America to start a new life. I am grateful to this country where I met the wonderful couple who gave us the beginning of a new life. I followed that wonderful gesture and started giving back to the community and to do what’s better for the people I crossed path with.
I am an entrepreneur, have started many businesses, and have been successful in most. In 1987, I co-founded Sunnyvale Seafood Corp. and served as the CEO. My company distributed seafood throughout the Bay Area, California and many other states. By 2003, there were 55 employees and the revenue increased to $60 million.
I 2002, I started and is Co-owner and Executive Director of L&D Enterprise in Vietnam. The company manufactures, packages and exports food products to the European Market.
I am a working mother of four, Tifanny 27, Elizabeth 26 Sydney 22, and Johnny 21. Life’s ups and downs have taught me that good things only come from hard work. I have learned not to take anything for granted.
I am determined to repay our nation for the opportunity to have a good life. I believe in the American dream and that is why I have decided to dedicate myself to serving our community.
Life has taught me that in America, hard work is rewarded. I believe that most of the people who live in our city share this belief.