Who is impacted and how can you comply with the new law?

Single Family

If you have a split-cart for garbage/food scraps, you are already in compliance! Keep up the good work by continuing to separate all food scraps and food soiled paper and placing them in the brown side/food scraps side of your split-cart.

Multi-Family & Businesses

All businesses and multi-family properties will need to have organic waste collection services (yard trimmings and food scraps). Contact Milpitas Sanitation, Inc. to sign up for collection services 408-988-4500 or visit the Milpitas Sanitation website).

Large grocery stores and food distribution businesses must donate edible food to food recovery organizations (such as food banks) with other food businesses starting food donations in 2024. To find out if you are required to donate excess edible food, visit the Santa Clara County Food Recovery Program page.

De Minimis Waiver

If you are a commercial business/multi-family generating only minimal amounts of waste, you may be eligible for the De Minimis Waiver (PDF) to be in compliance.

Show All Answers

1. Why divert waste?
2. Who is impacted and how can you comply with the new law?
3. What counts as organic?
4. What goes in the green yard trimmings cart/bin?
5. What goes in the food scraps compartment (residences) or dedicated food scraps cart/bin (for businesses/multi-family complexes)?
6. What do I need to do?
7. What happens if I choose not to participate and do not subscribe to food waste collection?
8. I need help to determine how/if my service is adequate. Who do I contact?
9. I am a business that regularly deals with food. Do I have to donate my edible food?
10. I need more information. Where can I learn more about SB 1383?
11. I have questions, is there someone that I can contact in the City of Milpitas?