If you store or handle a hazardous material, not classified as a retail or consumer product, in an amount equal to or greater than any of the following specified quantities, you are required to complete a Hazardous Materials Business Plan.
- 500 pounds for a solid
- 55 gallons for a liquid (Exception: 275 gallons aggregate quantity on-site or 55 gallons of each type of lubricating oil as defined by H&SC 25503.5(b)(2)(B).)
- 200 cubic feet for a gas (Exception: 1,000 cubic feet each of oxygen or nitrous oxide stored or handled at a physician, dentist, podiatrist, veterinarian, or pharmacist's place of business.)
- The specified amount of radioactive material requiring an emergency plan under Parts 30, 40, or 70 of Title 10 Code of Federal Regulations or equal to or greater than applicable amounts specified in items 1, 2, or 3 above, whichever amount is smaller.
- The specified threshold quantity amount of a Cal-ARP-regulated substance.
If you store or handle a hazardous material, not classified as a retail or consumer product, in an amount less than the following specified quantities, you may complete a Hazardous Material/Waste Registration form.
A material qualifies as a retail or consumer product and is exempt from the HMBP reporting requirements if it is packaged for direct distribution to, and use by the general public, and meets all of the following conditions.
- The material is not dispensed from containers at your site.
- The product is stored in a retail display area as defined by the Fire Code.
- The storage containers are no larger than 5 gallons for liquids, 100 pounds for solids, and
- Handling of the material does not present an unacceptable risk to the public, health, safety, or the environment.