Applications Now Accepted for Milpitas Microenterprise Assistance Program
Milpitas and FORWARD to administer $50,000 to Milpitas microenterprises
The application period for the City of the Milpitas Microenterprise Assistance Program (MEAP) is now open. This program is designed to provide economic assistance to microenterprises within Milpitas. FORWARD, the trusted partner in program administration for local governments, has partnered with the City of Milpitas to administer the MEAP.
The City of Milpitas has allocated $50,000 of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds for MEAP in order to provide up to 25 Milpitas microenterprises each with $2,000 in grant funding. The awards will provide a financial cushion and help alleviate the economic challenges faced by microenterprises in Milpitas.
“The City is dedicated to investing in the Milpitas business sector through its Microenterprise Assistance Program and in providing an easy, safe, and quick application process,” said Mayor Carmen Montano. “Milpitas is proud to partner with FORWARD in helping to financially empower the Milpitas business community.”
To be eligible for the program, Milpitas microenterprises must:
- Operate within Milpitas city limits;
- Not exceed five (5) employees (including W2 employees and sole proprietors);
- Operate as a for-profit enterprise;
- Have a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) by March 31, 2024 to receive funding; and
- At least 51% of staff must be at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI) for Santa Clara County.
Eligible Uses of Grant Funding
- Operating expenses
- Utility payments
Additional eligibility criteria and eligible grant uses available at the MEAP website. The City of Milpitas approved FORWARD as the program administrator contractor to assist with community outreach, application support, and screening for eligibility in a way that uses taxpayer dollars efficiently. Applicants can expect the following:
- Apply though FORWARD’s online application portal, available in multiple languages
- Access to application support available in multiple languages via phone, text and email
- Meet geographic area requirements by operating within Milpitas city limits
- Submit proof of active Unique Entity Identifier (UEI)
- A Business Tax Return from 2022 or a Personal Tax Return from 2022 (if business income is shown on personal return)
- Provide a W-9 form, and a government-issued photo ID
“At FORWARD, we’re committed to creating an easy and secure application process for members of the microenterprise community,” said Adnan Mahmud, CEO of FORWARD Platform. “Our team worked closely with the City of Milpitas to ensure that the application process is equitable, secure, and accessible for the Milpitas microenterprise community."
Milpitas microenterprises that meet eligibility requirements are encouraged to learn more and apply at: