Simple Mobile Access to Reliable Transit (SMART)
Milpitas SMART offers an affordable service to Milpitas' commuters, including those not conveniently served today by transit, and significant vulnerable/transit-dependent population by supporting and complementing the Milpitas BART Station and VTA's existing bus and rail services. The program combines the convenience of a ride-hailing service like Uber or Lyft with the capacity and affordability of a more traditional shuttle or vanpool service. The local business community will benefit from the Milpitas OnDemand service as first mile/last mile connectivity is important to and from the Milpitas Transit Center and is a high priority for local employers.
Milpitas SMART is a new and convenient on-demand rideshare service that gets you around Milpitas quickly and safely. Residents and visitors can also utilize this service for local daily trips to work, school, shopping, and other needs around town!
Download on the Apple App Store, Google Play. Please send comments, concerns, or questions within the app or web booking site by navigating to the “Help” menu. Alternatively, you can call 408-330-3302 or email Support for assistance.
Search for a ride anywhere within the zone, and we'll let you know where to meet the vehicle. Our pick-ups are located at VTA stations, Milpitas BART station, bus stops and well-lit areas for your safety and convenience.
- Regular Adults: $2.50 per ride
- Youth Under 18, Disabled, Seniors, and Low-Income Population: $1 per ride
- Child 5 Years or Younger: Free with a paying guardian over the age of 16.
Monday to Friday
7 am to 7 pm
Mobility Devices: Vehicles are ADA-accessible and equipped to transport wheelchairs and scooters.
Please note that SMART is not a paratransit service that provides door-to-door service. VTA provides paratransit service within Milpitas. More information regarding this service can be accessed at https://www.vta.org/go/paratransit.
Vehicles are equipped to carry strollers, bicycles, and baggage. If bringing a bike, select "General w/Bike" when booking your ride.
3 Easy Ways to Book A Ride
- Download FREE Milpitas SMART app
- Or call 408-330-3302
Enter your origin and destination - this can be anywhere within the service zone. Your pick up and drop off location may be a short walking distance from your searched location - we will let you know where to wait 15 minutes prior to pickup.
Then select when you want to ride and how many passengers will be riding with you. If you need more space for a bike, wheelchair, or other large item, be sure to select the passenger type that meets your needs. You can book on-demand, or reserve your ride up to a week in advance.
Get to your pick-up point 5 minutes before your scheduled pick-up window begins.
Pay in the app using a credit card or with your prepaid transportation card when you board.
The City of Milpitas was awarded $1,084,732 in grant funding through the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) 2016 Measure B Program to implement Milpitas SMART. The program is funded by the 2016 Measure B ballot measure for a 30-year half-cent countywide sales tax. VTA established several program categories including Innovative Transit Service Models. The goal of this program category is to support affordable new innovative transit service models to address first/last-mile connections to transit and serve the vulnerable, underserved and transit-dependent population.
The City partnered with RideCo, a transportation consultant that specializes in micro-transit services, to submit a proposal for funding through the Innovative Transit Service Models Program to develop and implement Milpitas SMART. On March 4th, 2021 the VTA Board of Directors approved the recommended projects, including Milpitas SMART.
On April 5, 2022, the Milpitas City Council authorized the City Manager to execute a funding agreement with the VTA for the 2016 Measure B Innovative Transit Service Models Program. Additionally, the City Council adopted a resolution to approve and authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement with RideCo to operate Milpitas SMART.
City Council Meeting - April 5, 2022: View the Agenda Report (PDF) with attachments here.
- What are the Milpitas SMART health guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Where can I ride Milpitas SMART?
- What are the Milpitas SMART service hours?
- How is this different from Uber or Lyft and other transit services in the area?
- What other modes of transit can I connect to?
- Where can I board Milpitas SMART?
- What type of seats can I book?
- How much does it cost for a ride?
- Am I eligible for a reduced fare?
- How do I pay for a ride?
- How do I book in advance?
- How do I schedule a trip?
- How do I cancel or change a scheduled ride?
- Can I book in another language besides English?
- How do I know when a driver will pick me up?
- How will I recognize my Milpitas SMART ride?
- How long will the driver wait for me?
- What if I cancel or do not show for my ride?
- Will I be able to rate my trip?
- What is Milpitas SMART's policy for car seats?