The City Clerk works to ensure public trust in government by maximizing public access to government through administering democratic processes, facilitating legislative processes, and overseeing compliance activities in accordance with legal requirements.
The City Clerk serves as the legislative administrator, elections official, and records manager for the City, while also serving as the Clerk of the City Council and Secretary to the Public Financing Authority, Milpitas Municipal Financing Authority and Housing Authority. As the Office of Record, the City Clerk is responsible for maintaining the official record of council actions and execution of all minutes, ordinances, and resolutions. The City Clerk also ensures compliance with relevant laws aimed at safeguarding democracy and public transparency including the Ralph M. Brown Act, California Elections Code, the Political Reform Act and Public Records Act.
- Prepares, edits, and publishes City Council agenda and meeting minutes for all regular and special City Council meetings.
- Ensures municipal records are readily available and accessible to all and serve as main point of contact for residents, City officials and staff, and other governments.
- Complies with the Ralph M. Brown Act, the Public Records Act, and the City's Open Government Ordinance.
- Provides centralized records management, including production and retention of all meeting agendas and minutes of all City Council (and related entity) meetings.
- Coordinates outreach and tracking of terms of service and Mayor’s appointments to 12 City Commissions.
- Maintains codification of ordinances, i.e., ensuring publication of Milpitas Municipal Code by vendor Municipal Code Corporation.
- Administers municipal elections, including candidate filing in November of even years, and receives required campaign finance reports on semi-annual basis.
- Receives and files annual Fair Political Practices Commission Forms 700 / Statements of Economic Interest for all designated employees, Commissioners, and elected officials.
- Conducts Administrative Hearings, upon request, for Parking Citations and other municipal code violations.